The Lake County Political Establishment
Conner and Cadwell Connection
Political Partners and Soulmates
Jimmy Who? That is probably the response Lake County District 5 County Commissioner Welton Cadwell will give when he is asked about his political partner and soulmate District 3 County Commissioner Jimmy Conner. This election season, Conner has become toxic because of his disrespectful and crude behavior toward women, support for Lake County’s huge property tax increase, and his involvement in the “pay to play” shenanigans during the Infrastructure Sales Surtax Referendum (Penny Sales Tax) special election in 2015. Sources close to Cadwell have told us that he has instructed Conner to not refer to him during any of his campaign events.
But Cadwell has a big problem. Commissioners Conner and Cadwell have been political partners and soulmates on every issue that has driven down the economy in Lake County and created the worst anti-business climate in Central Florida. The Conner and Cadwell Connection has been a voting block for almost eight years. It is too late for Cadwell to deny his political love affair with Conner.
Here are the issues and similarities that Commissioners Conner and Cadwell share:
- Both Conner and Cadwell are career politicians spending multiple decades in elected political offices. They are the Lake County Political Establishment.
- In campaign contributions, Conner has raised $61,850 and Cadwell $37,850, with much of their money coming from out-of-town lawyers and real estate professionals.
- In September 2014, Conner and Cadwell voted for and supported a 13.8% increase in Lake County’s property tax millage rate—one of the highest increases in history.
- The Conner and Cadwell Connection voted and advocated for Lake County’s job-killing impact fees, which are some of the highest in the state. The impact fees for a single family home in South Lake County is $12,933, and the impact fees for a mobile home is $8,469. That is outrageous!
- Conner and Cadwell both voted for and supported holding the Infrastructure Sales Tax Referendum special election in 2015 at an unnecessary cost to taxpayers of $440,000. This election could have been held for free in March 2016. They wasted your money for political gains.
- Because of the anti-business land and code regulations that Conner and Cadwell have supported over the last seven years, Lake County has not been able to attract the good, high paying jobs, which are so desperately needed. They have created a harsh anti-business climate that has given power to the local bureaucrats.
The only difference between Commissioners Conner and Cadwell is their tone. However, their voting records are just about identical.
Cadwell is doing everything he can to disassociate himself from Conner. Unfortunately for him, their voting records make them political partners and soulmates.
2016 is going to be an election year of change. The voters will have to decide if they want to support the Lake County Political Establishment and the Conner and Cadwell Connection.
Please forward this email to everyone on your list. If you have not signed up for our free email newsletter service, be sure to sign up at our website www.lakecountygov.info.