Conner Pushes for the Highest Impact Fees in the State
Only 23 of the 67 counties in the state of Florida have School Impact Fees, and Lake County has the highest. When you include the Transportation, Library, Fire, and Parks Impact Fees with the School Impact Fees, Lake County has the highest overall Impact Fees in the state and one of the highest in the nation. These Impact Fees are costing jobs, and a lot of them. When a piece of raw land has a structure put on it, the tax base increases tenfold for perpetuity. Impact Fees are just another money grab by an out-of-control government, which cannot control expenses.
Why should this matter to every citizen in Lake County? The only reason home values and the economy started improving in Lake County was because Impact Fees were waived and reduced to zero. Housing and commercial construction drug Lake County out of the Great Recession, and they are the primary reason why home values started increasing for all property owners. This week, new construction permits plummeted in Lake County. These Impact Fees will only make it worse because new homes cannot get the appraisals needed for financing. This is a job destroyer for working families.
It is hard to justify these School Impact Fees when Sumter, Marion, and Citrus Counties do not have any School Impact Fees, and Lake’s proposed School Impact Fees will be almost $3,000 more than Orange County.
This is not name calling but simply the truth—the Lake County Commission is nothing more than taxers and spenders led by Commission Chairman Jimmy Conner. There is not a tax they will not raise or a project they will not spend money on. This bunch complains that commercial development is not moving to Lake County, and their taxing policies are the reason why.
Let’s see what these four Lake County Commissioners have taken from the taxpayers.
- They voted to renew the Penny Sales Tax for 15 years. Lake County’s 7% sales tax is higher than Orange, Marion, and Volusia Counties. It should be for 5 years, not 15.
- Despite their claims, Lake County is increasing property taxes this year on Lake County property owners by $2.2 million. Just look at their budgeted revenues for 2016 as compared to 2015.
- Last year, they increased property taxes on Lake County property owners by a whopping 13.8%. (Sullivan did not vote for this.)
- In January, while no one was watching, these Commissioners voted to renew the Local Option 4 Cent Gas Tax on residents until 2043 (28 years). This covers about 60% of road maintenance, yet we thought the Penny Sales Tax was being used for that.
- In September 2014, these four Commissioners adopted one of the highest Transportation Impact Fees in the state—up to $4,066 per house in South Lake County and thousands of dollars on new businesses. This is crippling new business investment.
- This month, these four Commissioners voted for the highest School Impact Fees in the state—$9,324 per home. Sumter, Citrus, and Marion Counties do not have School Impact Fees, and they have better schools.
- Plus, they have increased just about every fee and regulation in Lake County over the last several years.
The final public meeting and vote on these School Impact Fees will be September 29, 2015. Let your Commissioners know how they are destroying jobs.
On November 3, 2015, Vote Against the Infrastructure Sales Surtax Referendum (Penny Sales Tax Renewal), because the ordinance is badly written, and you don’t want to give the politicians a blank check. Let’s make them do it right—the ordinance should only be used for new schools, roads, and utilities while protecting Lake County taxpayers and workers.
If you would like someone to come and speak to your group about the Penny Sales Tax,
Please get the facts out to your family, friends, and neighbors by sharing this email with everyone in your address book.
We would like to hear from you on today’s newsletter. Go to www.lakecountygov.info and let us know what you think. You can leave a comment on this newsletter, or you can click on the “What’s on Your Mind?” button to leave a comment about something you feel strongly about.
Please forward this email to everyone on your list. If you have not signed up for our free email newsletter service, be sure to sign up at our website www.lakecountygov.info.
Donate to The Right Side
Funding for the The Right Side of the Lake comes from readers like you. Please help support our efforts to provide a non-partisan voice for the working people in local government issues. We will continue to fight all taxes, fees and regulations which unduly burden the lives of working men and women. Please click the “view in browser” link at the top of the page in order for the Donate button to work.
Visit Us Online